Monday, May 2, 2011

Meatless Monday: Tomato Lentil Soup

Where did I find this who knows? Over the years I cut out of magazines, newspapers or cookbooks recipes I find intriguing. This was one I cut from a magazine but who knows which one? If you recognize it please let me know so I can give credit where due.


I didn't make the Italian toasted cheese bread the recipe mentions this should be served over. I think this would make the whole meal more filling.

Pros:      Easy and Quick Recipe to make. A little chopping but not too bad

Cons:     This recipe flavor I give an average rating. I wasn't crazy about it overall but it was OK. I think   it needs a good hearty salad and a nice dessert and wine to make it a complete meal.

Tomato-Lentil Soup

Serve with Toasted Cheese Topped Italian Bread


Heat 1 Tbsp Olive Oli in a 4 qt saucepan over medium-low heat.





Add 1 1/2 cups each diced onion, diced red pepper, 2 tsp minced garlic and 1 tsp dried thyme


Cover and cook 8 minutes or until soft, but not browned.

Add 4 cups water, 1 cup rinsed sorted lentils, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper



Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.

Stir in a 28oz can crushed tomatoes. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes to blend flavors.


Serve 4 Per serving: 269 calories
16 g protein
9 g fiber
5 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
0 mg cholesterol
916 mg sodium

Bon Appetit'

No comments:

Post a Comment